Thursday, March 22, 2018

The Daylight Savings Time Transition

I am very happy that we are getting more and more minutes of sunlight each day. Still, I struggle with what seems like such a late sunrise in March. Plus, since it is still a bit cold, we still have snow mounds, and where there aren't snow mounds, the ground is wet and muddy, and then freezes again overnight. This makes outdoor time less fun than it should. Was it earlier this year than other years? I seem to remember it being towards the end of March, not the first half. Either way, I struggle both in the fall and spring, but more so each spring, with the changing of the clocks. It seems to take about two full weeks for my body to match to the new operating hours.It's not just me. Recently an article popped up in my news feed about how daylight saving time affects your health and wellness.

Yesterday afternoon, I was attempting to take Pup for a much needed long walk. I saw my neighbor with Pup's buddy and they were pretty excited to see each other. Both dogs like to go down this long sidewalk, and if we are really ambitious, cross the highway to where there is a good forested walking path. Right now though, several parts of the sidewalk in both directions are flooded messes, meaning we would have to take the street. This was about 5:45 when loads of folks are getting home from work. It was not quite safe for taking the road, so we both just continued around our big block, withthe  dogs moaning and pulling for us to go down the paths, also flooded, to the park. Neighbor uttered the horrid words too-another big snow is expected. Not the first day of spring I would like. 

I've been up since 5:30, and still no sunrise at 6:26. In about 30 minutes I'll be driving to work, still in mostly darkens. I am a four season kind of gal. I just wish the length of the season would be summer five months, fall three months, spring thee months, and maybe leave winter the month of December. I hear there are places like this in the world.

Remember this? Sun and green!

9 comments:

  1. It take me a while to adjust too. I keep time by the sunlight during the day and right now my rhythm is way off. It usually takes me about 3 weeks for everything to synch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a fog at work it seems. It's good to know I'm not just imagining things.

      Delete
  2. Well if they have a place like that I am retiring there. Find out would ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch a young couple that live in Prtugl on YouTube. IT seems southern portugal is like this-may be brushing up on my Portuguese.

      Delete
  3. Are there really places like that in the world? One month for winter lol. I’m with you I like sun and warmth and the older I get the more I like it so much so that I want to live in Greece Samos to be exact. Our clocks change on the last Sunday in March which will give us lighter evenings but the weather is still not predicted to be great and I feel like I need another hit trip away lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all should research and figure it out. My vacation wasn't anywhere warm or sunny.

      Delete
  4. I love the extra sunshine in the early evening, makes our life so much easier as can walk the dog together later in the day which is impossible in the mornings when we have business sessions. I am not an early riser though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll appreciate the extra light once I can be outdoors regualllry when real spring arrives. Until then, I like my quiet time in the morning and seeing the sun rise, whihc now is on my car ride to work. Not very poetic.

      Delete
  5. The little saying "Spring forward, Fall back" has become an anual ritual, loved by some, hated by others. Me, I don't mind the time change, but I'm aware of the fact that our biological clock likes consistency, and many are unhappy with the change.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.