Thursday, November 2, 2017

My Sister Would Have Been 60 Tomorrow

We humans like to mark momentous occasions in 5's and 10's. 25th and 30th anniversaries. class reunions every 10 years. Momentous birthdays by the decade. We seem to not do that so much with remembering the loss of a loved one.  Each anniversary is equally hard. Four years ago today my sister  died of an aneurysm. Her son and daughter in-law found her already passed away, outside on her deck, possibly out there for a last cigarette and breath of fresh air before they were to pick her up to take her out for a birthday dinner. Her birthday was the next day, November 3rd. 

Tomorrow she would have been 60. I feel like we should be hosting a huge and boisterous party.  She loved a good party. Saturday when my sisters spend the day together for our annual sisters weekend, we will pause from shopping for a couple beers or glass or two of wine and toast her  birthday, simultaneously laughing and crying as we remember her. 

9 of 10 of us. My sister J is middle girl with glasses, at 10 years old.
 

18 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss, they say time heals but it just dulls the pain a little x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a loss no one who loves other people can escape though.Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry Sam. 56 seems so awfully young to die. When my dad's last brother died recently my sister said "well, we're now top of the tree 'cos all the older generation has gone". It's a sobering thought and must be harder than ever to lose a sibling. Again, my condolences. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last aunt passed away last spring-I know exactly what you mean. My niece still struggles daily with the loss of her parents. My sisters husband died almost two years earlier from cancer at 54.

      Delete
  3. She was so young. Hugs - nice that you can spend sisters time together and remember her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all close and blessed to have each other.

      Delete
  4. Sorry for your loss it looks like you were dominated by sisters.I love my sisters and we have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instant friends. Of course we all know all the secrets and dirt too!

      Delete
  5. My brother dropped dead of a heart attack at 52 seventeen years ago. It still hurts. I hate that we all have to go through these hard times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You understand it so well. It's a missing piece of ourselves when a sibling dies.

      Delete
  6. A party sounds like a wonderful tribute to your late sister.
    Tragic for her family that she died so suddenly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece and nephews struggle as both parents are gone, particularly my niece. While we won't have a party, we'll have a good time in her honor.

      Delete
  7. I am so deeply sorry SAM. I cannot imagine the loss you are feeling and it's one I'm sure never goes away. Hugs to you while you remember your sister's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. I won't write about her every year, but since it should be her 60th today in fact, and on a Friday, I can't help thinking we should be celebrating not mourning.

      Delete
  8. My daughter would have been 32 this year. She passed away almost 5 years ago in a car accident. The pain gets a little less sharp with each passing year but I still think of her as we celebrate the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not imagine that pain. My husbands sister died 21 years ago at 26, way too young. Family are always with us.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I got to listen to my daughters beautiful jazz group which was a lovely way to spend my sisters birthday.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.