Monday, November 20, 2017

Five Frugal Things and a Few Blips

Heading into this last week, at least in my family, before Christmas season is in full swing, I thought I should take stock of my recent spending habits. Most of the time, I make decent spending decisions. I also have a few blips-not errors, just a bit more spending than perhaps was planned. Such is life, and I try not to stress too much, balancing spending and saving. 

Five Frugal Wins
  • Last week I spent $31 on vouchers for four separate large Papa Murphy Pizzas and two 8 piece chicken dinners. Even if I had purchased these items with store coupons, the pre-purchased vouchers make the take-out's less than 1/2 price. The pizza vouchers never expire, and the chicken dinners are good for 60 days from November 11th. Both sets of vouchers will come in handy in busy December and early January. Yes, it's money spent on take out, but I know we would have take-out on hectic days so I do see this as a spending win.  
  • I was in pretty desperate need of a few sweaters for skirts and dress pants. I pitched a few well worn ones at the end of last winter. I found two very basic sweaters at the Salvation Army store, one a soft grey v-neck form the Gap, and the other a thicker knit light blue chunky turtle neck. Added to the timeless fisherman cable sweater I bought on clearance back in April and  tucked away, I will be toasty warm for the grand sum of $14 for all three. 
  •  In doing some more organizing, a skirt and pair of pants I like resurfaced in my closet. The zipper was wonky on the pants and the skirt needed a hem job. I am not a sewer, but for a couple dollars, I improvised with some Velcro for the pants and hem magic for the skirt.The skirt looks just fine, and the pants, well, worn with the chunky sweater above, no one will be the wiser. 
  • Decided to pass, even though I really wanted to splurge, on Minnesota Orchestra tickets for a film and live orchestra concert of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It is the same week as DD2's orchestra concert, and same weekend as her choir Christmas concert, plus holiday party for show choir. We're meeting up with friends after the concert, plus it's the last weekend before Christmas, chance for any last  preparations. As much as we would have enjoyed it, I think trying to cram one more thing into an already packed two weeks would have taken away from the experience. 
  • After winging it last week a bit too much, I meal planned-really meal planned on Sunday, including using up lingering food into new meals. I bought only what I needed at the grocery store.
Budget Blips
  • We hadn't planned on a pricey night out last Saturday, but my sister and husband had two extra tickets to a Kansas concert in downtown Minneapolis. In appreciation, we paid for dinner before hand and drinks at the venue. Still less than the two tickets, but we spent  $126.
  • Some confusion with Show Choir payments, and I over paid for this year. It would be a nightmare getting it straightened out, so it will just stay in her account until next year. We also will have some more fundraising money. I had hoped to have a decreased final payment, but this isn't money lost as it will just be applied  to next year instead of her last payment. 
  • Friday night I stopped at the new Hyvee for groceries for dinner. I hadn't really checked it out much and thought to give it a look. It is a very beautiful store, with lots of treats and extras. It's also large, very busy, and I was overwhelmed trying to find what I needed for dinner. I ended up spending probably 30% more on basic cheese, lettuce, guacamole, beans, and salsa had I just swung into Aldi's.  I think I've cured my case of FOMO for now.  
Money spending ebbs and flows. I'm doing OK with my Christmas gift giving budget so far. I need to stop tonight or tomorrow after work and pic up a hoodie at Kohl's, using my $30 Kohls' cash, for my nephew. They have Under Armour, Nike, and Adidas on sale roughly in that range. I'm holding out ordering a skateboard ramp for another nephew, our Godson until December 1st, the last day of an on-line coupon for both a discount and free shipping. There is only a 30 day guarantee return policy, so I want to make sure he uses the ramp and it is not defective within the time limit. That will give me a 5 day cushion. Where are you having spending successes? Any blips to share?


6 comments:

  1. I will spend for a good concert and dinner. I think that is okay. Experiences are good things. I love your mending skills:) Hey you tried and that is half the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun night reliving songs from a band I entered my teen years listening too.

      Delete
  2. I had a blip yesterday which will likely set me back around $10. Not terrible but I learned a good lesson. I was working on family history and found a document relating to my grandfather's time in the militia in England. Or so I thought...turns out there is more than one Rowland Harrison born in 1879. I had to pay before being allowed to see the document and it turned out to be some other Rowland Harrison. From now on I will never buy anything sight unseen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even small amounts, when they are just stupid, annoy me a lot. Your loss was a bad business rule-sorry for that.

      Delete
  3. I think because you have a handle on your spending/budget you can and should afford yourselves some blips. What is unreasonable is just to spend blindly but you obviously don't do that. I used to be VERY strict on my spending after my ex left - now, because I have everything under control - it's ok to go out to lunch occasionally (like I did with a very lovely colleague). I know tomorrow it will be back under control. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing where money is going is my challenge. It is too easy to use the credit card, even when paying it off at the end of the month. I agree though, most of the time I have a handle on our budget and spending.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.