Thursday, October 19, 2017

I Can't Have It All, But Maybe Have Some

"Do I want it now, or do I want it more?" asks writer Tsch Oxenredier, guru of simple living in her book, Notes from a Blue Bike. It is possible to have more and more of what I want in my life without putting too great an effort into it, at least on paper. Our salary suggests we could travel more, have a clean home by hiring a cleaning service, eat delicious and healthy prepared meals ready for me to swing by my deli counter or a meal subscription service, and update my clothes with each change of season and trends. But, I can't spend money on all these things if I wish to also have a quality of life in retirement on a timeline I get to set. I can't spend money on those things and have piece of mind that we are prepared for emergencies or a twist of fate. The cost is too dear.

Even when we splurge, I try and keep a somewhat thrifty mind, saving on things when the pricier version will not add to the experience. On our weekend, we stayed in a hotel that was far from luxury and was very outdated. However, it was clean, had great water pressure for warm showers after our long days walking in the sunny, but cool outdoors. Cumulatively in the 44 hours we spent there from check-in to check out, we slept, showered, and grabbed a little toast, coffee, and juice, to set us up for a long day exploring, but not much else. We could have spent 50% more on a room but it would have not added to the weekend fun. When eating out, we ordered what we wanted, but since we would have no place to store or time to eat leftovers, we made sure to order for our appetites, not wasting food or money. We saw many hoodies and t-shirts and totchkes in abundance in the stores. There they stayed. We didn't need to bring home bottle openers shaped like light houses this trip.The brewery glasses were fun, but for $8, my glasses at home will do just fine to hold a cold beer.

I like the look of stylish work clothes and pretty evening wear. Neither are needed, nor practical in my life so I prefer to spend small sums to have a minimal, but appropriate work and nice occasion wardrobe. I splurged on a Columbia winter coat this year, but it still was on clearance, bought after season. It is  good quality, basic black, and will serve me well for my long commutes and  walk from the parking lot to my office, and long walks for pup. I could really use a new dress coat, but instead, I'll pick-up new buttons for my 14 year old wool dress coat and have it dry cleaned extending the wear a little longer. I'm fortunate in that my family is the same way. DD2 has rescued an old generic three season water repellent unisex jacket of her brothers, still in the closet from his middle school days. While the  removable liner has broken zippers, she just removed as she'll wear over her own sweatshirts if needed. She calls it retro (from 2000.)

None of this is new material from me. I write this to remind myself that even though we could, we don't really have need to spend more than is necessary to have a good life. A simple meal made in a crock pot is as convenient as a delivered meal kit. A trip to state parks is  more to our tastes than a weekend flying off to Las Vegas. I'll tuck pennies, nickels, and dimes into my savings can, often make do with what I have, and put those funds towards our summer trip, while figuring out how we can stretch our dollars once we are there. I can't, nor do I want it all. I'm happy though with the some I have now.



22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And maybe with some of the wiser spending and saving, I'll have a retirment ike yours!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I don't have it all figured out, but making efforts to etter prioritize.

      Delete
  3. I love this post, other than coming to terms with how long ago 2000 was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was before she was born, it is retro. THough wow-17 years since Y2K.

      Delete
  4. I am laughing while reading this because last night I used zip ties to "fix" yet another rack on my dishwasher. For at least 4 years I have been doing the same thing and am going to break down and buy one before the holidays. Meanwhile I have been able to earn interest on the money I could have easily spent a few years ago. It is all about choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been making do without a regular coffee maker for a couple years. I put a towel under to absorb the leak or boil water and pur over the filter to make a full pot. I'll buy a replacement someday once I figure out a real need, or the price is perfect.-, but making due until.

      Delete
  5. And this goes with my new mantra...."You can have it all but you can't have it all right now." or something like that.
    Nobody except the ultra-rich can have it all with the corresponding price tags they come with. That's why we prioritize spending and are frugal in some areas so we can spend/invest in other areas.
    Long live frugality! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using the term thrift now-seems like a good way to describe an overall life mantra-thrifty with money, time, all resources in limited supply.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you absolutely, just like the others. Then as Slugmama said, only the ultra-rich can have it all - not that it makes them any happier for it, I'm sure. If you haven't worked for it do you really appreciate it? Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More does not mean happy-I sure agree to that. My son has litrally no cash after covering his bills, but he now seems to just embrace the simple things in his life and I am proud of him.

      Delete
  7. "enough" that is what we all need to achieve - enough to make us happy and enough to keep us safe in the future. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ys, and enough to help out others when we can so that I can feel like I am part of solutions. It i amental health thing.

      Delete
  8. Very wise post Sam. I like the fact that you factor in enjoyment too.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A I am leanring though, enjoymnet doesn't mean having to spend money. Sometimes ys, but as our summer of enjoying river walks has taught me, enjoymnet can be simple.

      Delete
  9. lol! 2000 is retro? Then my stuff is down right prehistoric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? She is now looking at leave behinds in her sisters old closet-circa 2009, more retro.

      Delete
  10. I have never really wanted to go places and spend money. We never got tshirts or other souvenirs from places for the children. We did things that were free or cost a bit just for the experience. I do not understand trips to Vegas! Maybe once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going places, yes. Spending money on more stupid crap, no! Maybe some day Las Vegas will beon our plans, but I see it as a weekend trip with really discounted deals.

      Delete
  11. It's the simple life for me too! My "nice" winter coat was from a thrift shop; my hiking winter coat used to be my daughter's coat. If there is an article of clothing I need I'll head to the thrift store first. The older I get the more I hate to shop and always try to get a bargain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then the waste factor creeps into my perspective. Ordering and throwing is not fair to those with out enough. Spending more money on the latest fashions and having old, still perfectly good items end up in landfills, not fair either. I don't want to be part of the waste culture.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.