Monday, October 23, 2017

Easter Thoughts-In Ocotber



Yikes, Easter is only twenty-three weeks away! I agreed to host. I was put to the spot yesterday and didn’t have a chance to think, or even say "maybe". I didn’t want to commit to even attending on that side of the family-remember my past posts on how other Easters have been a bit of an over the top fiasco when hosted by my sister-in-laws on DH’s side? (Time to Switch Up Holiday traditions  and Beating of Drums). We broke from attending his side last year as my sister hosted, wanting a chance to finally host a big family event now that she is in a home that is conducive to entertaining. It was so zen. I know, probably because my sister, my family, my perspective is skewed, but we were home by mid afternoon, early enough to still enjoy a cool, but sunny day. I'm not sure why my one sister-in-law is attending-it should be her other sides rotation, but she was quick to suggest I host.

In some ways, having a solid deadline of having extended family will be the kick in the arse I need to finish late and procrastinated projects, and keep my home sane leading up to it. Yet, I know I’ll feel judged the entire time my mom and sister in law are in my home, whether they are being judge or not. I know, that is my problem to get over. At least I won’t have to amuse young kids (even though I like kids) as my brother-in- laws family, who hosted last two years (kind of), will be on the tail end of a spring break vacation. No bunny business to deal with. I don’t really know how many people-perhaps as many as 14, but as few as 9. My table will easily fit 8-perhaps stretch to 9. I’ll have to set up either downstairs, the living room, or try to add table space adjacent. 

I’ve hosted birthday parties, confirmations, and two super large graduations for my kids.  All have been low key, open house kind of events, all on my agenda without a sit down at the table all together type meals. I feel like holiday expectations are different-I'm trying to fit DH's family, expectations more so than traditions, into my hosting. I hope my older daughter is able to come home that weekend as she would be a huge help, but I wouldn’t pressure her to do so. Spring is a busy work time for her. Last year, she was traveling for work anyway. Some of you are pros at this kind of hosting, so as I get closer, I’ll be posting requests for menu ideas, seating arrangements, and prepping tips. It's best to just suck it up, put on my big girl pants, and know I'll get through it with a little help from my blogger world friends. 

7 comments:

  1. You will get through with flying colors __unless you are like me and a habitual procrastinator. To me have many people is not hard, nor is the food or table settings. What is hard for me is getting the house ready for guests. I do have family members (including Mom and My Beloved Sister) who notice EVERYTHING that is undone or out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my family notices too, but they're MN passive aggressive and will just gossip out of my ear shot, as they should!DH's family is blunt in your face and cause needless shaming.

      Delete
  2. LOLZ I can't even face Xmas yet and you are already hyperventilating about Easter entertaining? hehehe
    You'll be fine. It will get done and if something doesn't? so what I would tell em all! lol
    If you can't fit everyone at the table then do buffet style? Just a thought.
    Now back to stressing out over Xmas and Thanksgiving instead. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-stupid stuff! Buffet style to serve, but my kitchen is awkward for that.

      Delete
  3. Heh. I was lucky enough to be born to parents who didn't believe in putting holiday expectations on their adult children, and I never allowed DH's family to cross that boundary either, so I am no help. Stressing over holidays sounds so awful...and wrong. I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish after so many years his family wouldn't get me worked up. I will try and just plan for what my immediate family likes and hope for best.

      Delete
  4. I get stressed too when I have to "plan" hosting something. Spontaneous? No problem. I love it. I think my ex used to get me worked up, storming round stuffing things into cupboards and everything having to be "perfect". I think he might be continuing along this path as the latest gf posted something about him running around like crazy when they have visitors on FB! Glad I make my own decisions now, so I chose not to "host" most of the time. Anna

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.