Friday, September 22, 2017

Feeling Good Friday-Slow and Steady

Woo hoo! I am officially declaring my weight loss back to the 14 original pounds I had lost by the end of July. Putting back on four pounds was not my intent, and getting them to come back off was incredibly slow, but I'm there. This week there was a NPR segment about how there is no right way to lose weight and it is highly individual. I understand that. The dietitian also shared the cold, hard truth. The behaviors and habits one exhibits when they successfully lose weight must really be maintained after the fact. This explains why those weight loss contestants just can't keep the same weight loss after the cameras are turned off. No one has time for 2- 3 hours of personal training (unless that is your actual job), and access to a controlled kitchen where no one around you is ever eating french fries and drinking beer. 

Take my daughter for instance. She has lost  a lot of weight in the last 14 months. She was always a healthy girl and physically active, but the subtle and consistent changes she made to her life, eliminating certain foods like sugar and simple carbs, increasing her already vegetarian diet to even more plant based meals, and adding more strength training to her exercise routine resulted in weight loss. She was never on a "diet" and this is her regular lifestyle. This is what I am aiming for. We can learn from our young 'uns. 

Self imposed lesson over, here's my run down of five health and well being successes for the week, cradled with a few gaffs. 

  • I already shared the 1.8 pound loss, getting me back to my 14 pound total, or as the Brits say, a full stone. (slow and steady)
  • I ended up reffing volleyball Wednesday night, which kept me tie wise from having more than a single beers with the girls who were done an hour and 1/2 before me. I did though nibble on handmade onion rings-a vegetable right? Sort of?I hadn't been out with my sisters in ages so this was good for my mental health. (lifestyle-share portions)
  • A get together last night after work for my former boss, who moved on to be a bigger mover and shaker, was really nice. We shared four appetizers among six of us, so not to calorie laden, and I learned bacon friend brussell sprouts are heaven. I kept my alcohol to just two pinot grigio's, so lighter on the calorie count. I admit though, I was pretty hungry when I got home, and DH had made penne pasta with Alfredo and chicken, and I heated up a small portion. (lifestyle choice next time-skip pasta, eat a piece of fruit)
  • At a breakfast meeting this week, I opted for steel cut oatmeal as opposed to the high fat, high sugar, simple carb pastry options that were screaming to me from the bakery case. For 100 calories less, I still had a spot of sweet with the maple brown sugar, and was fueled for the whole morning instead of the likely 11:00 sugar crash. (lifestyle changes-avoid the bakery case for breakfast meetings)
  • Twice on walks this week with pup, I went the extra blocks, even with needing to be somewhere, adding a couple hundred steps each walk. I did two 11 minute sessions of yoga this week, from an on line teacher. (lifestyle choice-always walk the longer route, fit in even short amounts of exercise)
None of the good things are going to give me significant weight loss. But, even the calorie filled choices won't derail slow and steady progress if most of the time, the right things are being done. I'll keep reporting my progress, but I'm done with time sensitive weight loss goals. While I would love to be 50 pounds lighter a year from now, I'll be pleased with any progress.

10 comments:

  1. Well done Sam a stone off is fab and well done on the yoga x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to look up some others once I feel the short ones are not enough. Maybe I'll even take a class this winter.

      Delete
  2. You are doing great! I'm in a similar place right now. Lots of baby steps & good choices all adding up to (VERY SMALL but steady) progress. My big challenge is staying the course when I travel for work. The jet lag, social eating, & every meal out thing makes it really tough. But, I have a plan for my trip next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be very interested to hear of your plan. When we are on vacation, we are so active I never gain weight and have been known to lose a pound Not so with work travel when I've been stuck in conference rooms.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! Now you are back to July weight you probably feel a lot more positive moving forward. I used to be a travel agent at one time and they had loads of functions with free liquor and food to go to from the tour companies. That is when I gained most of the weight :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since liquor is not free, drinking in moderation is essential. The place we were at last night was rubbish for happy hour deals!

      Delete
  4. Yup, there's a real feeling of achievement at a weight loss of a stone. Very British! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, may Stone II will be gone by Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Crikey, a stone off. Well done. I am feeling a bit deflated (metaphorically, though sadly not physicaly) as I have exercised 6 times Monday-Friday and still haven't got back to my starting loss. Bugger it. I feel so bloated. I have a short week (4 days next week) then off to Greece so I'm not expecting any miracle but really ...... "**ç "*ç"*ç"*ç! hell. Oh well, we'll see what happens when I get back, although to be fair, weight loss or no weight loss (we'll see on Monday) I am loving the feeling after all that exercise. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember though, this just gets me back to my original 14 pound loss, so since April 28th (I think that was my official starting date) 14 pounds, in 21 weeks. The four pound gain and loss all happened in weeks. Putting the weight back on was a slap, but maybe the kick I need. Wendy is in Greece now from ContentedCavern and she feels like she is losing with the great exercise and healthy food-maybe that will be your take away.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.