- Fresh, home grown, chemical free raspberries are a simple pleasure.Despite the ridiculous over growth, I love later pulling out frozen ones to make a pie mid winter, or eating my jam late fall. It's the only domestic skill I possess.
- I received a gift of two quarts of red currants from a coworker. I first learned to make jelly with currants from my dad's bushes for 4 H county fair's. Tomorrow I will cook them down and juice them, ready for another batch of jelly, probably when I make the raspberry. I'll freeze the juice until ready. It's been a long time since I've made this jelly, probably 2004 before my parents moved from the country to their townhouse and I will be reminded of my dad.
- Walking was not great, but it was better than the last two weeks. From Sunday to Friday I walked 6.6 miles, not counting my daily regular walking.
- Those two pounds I gained last week? I lost them this week, plus another 1.2 pounds! I'm now 6.6 pounds away from my first 20 pounds goal. I doubt I'll hit it by July 28th, but after the bad week, I am OK with it. Total weight loss, 13.4 pounds.
- Last but not least of my news, I got a promotion at work. A change elsewhere prompted a slight reorganization in my division that created an opening. I'll still lead my same project, but now with a different level of authority, autonomy, and expansion of duties. Plus, with one less level above my position, I have the ability to move forward with the redesign to improve efficiency and effectiveness.This has been the mental lift I needed after so many months of wondering if I was ever going to feel satisfaction at work again.
Friday, July 14, 2017
Feeling Good Friday-Just Under the Wire Edition
It's been a busy night. I left the office at 4:30 to get stuck in some icky traffic working my self slightly out of the way to stop at a Trader Joe's sort of on my way home. I'm making a breakfast basket with home made jam, a couple cute coffee mugs, and coffee pods, and wanted a bread mix, as an addition to go along with the Keurig coffee maker we bought our niece for her wedding. Added to that were a few other TJ's favorites. With that taken care of, I drove the rest of the way home, pulled in the driveway at 5:45, only to leave 10 minutes later for wine club. We were home by 8:45, DH yawning so much we didn't dare stay for a top off. When I got out of the car, I walked back behind the garage to see the bushes bursting with ripe raspberries. I grabbed a bowl for DD2 and myself, and we picked for 10 minutes. I need to come out in full combat gear in the morning, pushing back the weeds and prickly to get to the layer against the neighbors fence. Despite the overgrown weeds, we still picked over a quart worth tonight. I cleaned them, each of us ate a handful, and popped the rest in the freezer. I'm not at all embarrassed that our big night out has us home on the couch at 9:30 on a Friday night. Here's a wrap up of my week in the health and wellness department.